Slow Food London is proud to align itself with HFW's Chicken Out Free Range Chicken Campaign.
There are various things that we can do to help.
- Chicken Out is seeking photographic evidence that Free Range chicken is flying off the shelves! Certain supermarkets aren't admitting it. You can help by taking photos that show the empty shelf space and noting any apology notices that are displayed and sending them to the Chicken Out campaign. Photos should be date marked ideally and accompanying literature should detail the location. Be advised that supermarket managers can get tetchy about people taking photos.
- You could leaflet outside a local supermarket. HFW has prepared a double-sided leaflet to download, as detailed below.
(We would advise that you have a thick skin and that you arrange to leaflet with a friend. Do not allow yourself to get into protracted dispute.)
- You could make an appointment to see your local supermarket manager and add your voice to the pressure to stock more/only free range chickens. Please explain that you represent Slow Food London an eco-gastronomic organisation concerned to promote food that is good and clean and fair -- a triplet of values that only well-reared free-range birds can satisfy when it comes to chicken. Keep notes of your meeting and let us know how you got on. Don't apologise if somebody has already been before you; duplication simply shows the weight of feeling.
- Why not write to MacDonald's HQ and demand that they stock only free-range chicken? Where MacD lead the rest of the blessed Fast Food World will follow.
- You can make sure that you of course only ever buy Free Range chicken and recommend to your friends and colleagues to do the same.
- Demand to know the source of what you are eating if you are eating out.
- You can download, print out and display a campaign poster -- at home, in a legal public place, in common rooms etc.
Have a good look at HFW's site; it's very comprehensive.